Permits You Need

This section provides useful information that can save you time and money.  It is important that you obtain the proper permits prior to commencing a project. 

Development Permits
A development permit approves the location, size and use of a building. Development permits and approvals need to be obtained for new construction, renovations, businesses, and changes to how a building is being used.

All properties within the Town of McLennan are zoned and that zoning regulates setbacks, building height, lot coverage, what type of building, what use are allowed etc.  To find the zoning of your property check the zoning map and then refer to the section in the Land-Use Bylaw for the regulations on your zoning.  Development Permits are available from the Town Office.

If a change of property use or zoning is desired an Application for Amendment to the Land Use Bylaw must be completed and approved.

Building, Electrical, Gas and Plumbing Permits
While development permits regulate your property's appearance and use in the context of your neighbourhood, other permits make sure that what you build is actually safe.

Provincial regulations require you to obtain permits for construction or any trades work done for electrical, gas, or plumbing.  You can obtain an information book on these permits and applications at the town office.

Superior Safety Codes                       Canadian Safety Consulting Services
Phone: 1-866-999- 4777                     Phone: 1-877-780-7233

The major benefits of obtaining a permit is to know that the construction conforms to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Alberta Building Code Act or installation of utilities such as power and gas will conform to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Safety Codes Act, and that inspection(s) will be provided by certified safety codes officers.