Loss of Utilities

Utility companies do their best to maintain services; from time to time there are events that interrupt that service.
ATCO Gas 1-800-511-3447 for emergencies involving:

  • Natural gas odour
  • Hit or ruptured natural gas lines
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • Natural gas outages
  • and, in cold weather, if your natural gas furnace is not working

If you smell natural gas inside a building:

  • Leave the building immediately.
  • Call 911 or ATCO Gas using a neighbour’s phone.

ATCO Electric 24 Hour Service 1-800-668-5506

Things to do in a power outage:                      

  • Check with your neighbours to see if they have electricity.
  • If it is a neighbourhood power outage, unplug all appliances to avoid damage from a power surge when the power is restored. Shut off all lights except one to signal the return of power. Shut off computer equipment.
  • Turn on your battery powered radio and tune it to a local radio station.
  • If your home is the only one in the neighbourhood without power, the problem could be in your residence. Know the location of circuit breaker panel. 
  • Be aware that food in freezers may thaw during extended power outages.
  • Do not use the telephone; you may tie up the phone lines.

To report a downed power line:

  • Report all downed power lines to 911 with information on the exact location of the line.
  • Keep back a minimum of 10 metres (33 feet) from the wires or anything in contact with the wires.  Always assume that downed lines are energized.
  • Warn others in the area of the danger.  

Tips for an extended power outage: 

  • Turn off all electrical appliances and equipment.
  • Most natural gas furnaces need electricity to operate, while most natural gas fireplace burners will operate without electricity. Consult the manufacturer of your equipment for information about your furnace and fireplace.
  • Natural gas furnaces do not have to be turned off. Usually, they operate when power is restored. Contact ATCO GAS for information, 1-800-511-3447.
  • Keep fridge and freezer closed as much as possible.
  • Stay warm. Gather family members in the warmest room in the house. Dress in layers, draw drapes or cover windows to prevent heat loss.
  • Do not use camp stoves, kerosene heaters or barbecues indoors as they emit Carbon Monoxide.  Gas stoves used as a heat source for long periods without ventilation will do the same.
  • Ensure you have access to a phone that doesn’t need power to operate, or a cell phone.  Cordless phones won’t work without power.
  • Ensure your vehicle has at least a half-tank of fuel at all times. During a power outage, fuel stations are closed.

 Water Outage:          

  • Check with your neighbours to see if they have water.
  • The Town of McLennan will make every effort to contact you in the event of a scheduled water disruption.
  • During the winter months if you live in a manufactured home check to make sure your heat tape is working during cold spells.
  • If your home is the only one in the neighbourhood without water, the problem could be in your home. Know the location of your water shut-off valve in your home and make sure it is working properly in case you need to repair a broken pipe, hot water heater or other water pipes connecting to appliances using water.